2012年2月3日金曜日

What If Floppy Disk Is Write Protected

what if floppy disk is write protected

Can a 1050 / XF551 handle BIAS of 1.2MB 5.25 floppy disc?

Yesterday I wrote the little tool. It's a really stupid and simple tool, and it just formats a disk on single density (why, I explain this later). And fills al 720 sectors with the same pattern: $00, $AA, $FF, $55 (repeated 32 times on each sector).

The other tool reads all 720 sectors and after each sector it verifies whether the pattern is (still) there. If not the screen turns black.

That's all what the tools do. But it was rather interesting.

I have several types of HD floppy disks and I found out that I have one batch of one brand that does actually work good.
The others fail.


Verbatim Store 'n' Go 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive 96317 (Red)
Learn more

I have an older batch of MEMOREX HD floppy disks. The label (with a RED memorex LOGO) sais: MEMOREX 5420 5.25" 2 S/ 4 D and there is also a "10" on the label. These disks work perfect in my 1050. (And yes... I have other prove of that, read on!) The magnetic foil is not as dark as other brand HD floppy disks I have. These disks also have a HUB ring. I also have a very special batch of the same memorex disks. These have darkgrey label. Also with the RED logo. Also 2s/4D printed on the label. These disks work fine too.

I also have a newer batch of MEMOREX HD floppy disks. These have a blue logo printed. The magnetic thing inside the floppy is more black. These disks don't have the HUB ring, and the label also reads 1.6mb. These disks refuse to work. So do also my BAS-F HD floppy disks and my 3M HD floppy disks.

Why am I rather sure the old batch memorex HD disks are good to use.


Verbatim Store 'n' Go 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive 96806 (Red)
Learn more

Well... the non-working batch of HD disks resulted in problems after only a few minutes (!). When I verified the disks just after writing the pattern, they gave no problem. But on the next verify I also heard the drive head having issues. And after another time, there showed up the problems.

The older Memorex disks kept giving good results.

Ok you would say now: but you wrote the test-tool YESTERDAY. How can you be so sure, the data on these disk will last longer.

RIGHT! That was the same thing I thought and said to myself. So I went searching in my floppy disk collection.

And what did I found! YES! I found 6 floppy disks of these OLD Memorex Batch which I used 3 years ago when I was creating a nice floppy box (that was a time I really want to go retro, and only use floppy and tape, in stead of blackbox, myide, sio2ide etc).
I found several games, and... (VERY interesting) a dual sided MEMOREX HD Floppy disk with NUMEN on it.


I booted the disks... and I watched numen. NO problems.
I played the games on the memorex HD disks. NO problems.

Today I rechecked my test disks (with the pattern). They still verify VERY stable. From the first to the last track. No trouble.
Tried other 1050's no problem.

Ofcourse you'll never know. But that the disks DO work after 3 years, and that with my test results described above (and especially when you also look at the test results of the non-working HD disks) I'm pretty sure these disks are safe to use.

One more thing:
First I thought it is the WRITING that is the problem. But I believe now that is not really the problem. All the disks that failed, do still carry the right pattern. After re-reading failing sectors several times, I get the RIGHT pattern on the screen. The recording of the data is probably too weak to read right.

I found out that my happy drives do have less problems. Perhaps because they read tracks in stead of sectors? I have no idea.



These are our most popular posts: what if floppy disk is write protected

Member You - Computers and Technology

This is a guide on the things that you should and should not do on a floppy disk. ... Use the feature of the disk: write protect tab in order to prevent ... When inserting the disk, it is essential for the user know which side if the disk is up. The disk ... read more

Kingston Memory Card Write Protected

Moreover they are physically much smaller than their predecessors, the floppy disk and CD. A flash memory drive is essentially a printed circuit ... for my mmc memory card no password is set,previously it was working properly but now when is to write data on it throufh pc it is showing the message disc is write protected, i dont know what to do pls suggest me answer, waiting for reply. ... try changing the attributes. If read-only is checked, then remove the check and try. ... read more

Battery Review and Tips » Floppy Drive Using and Maintenance

SONY VGP-BPS18 Floppy drive read the disk if the system is often given during the "Error reading file" or "Sector not found" message, most of the stepper motor shaft and the head car has a bad convergence phenomenon, check the ... The absence of "write protection" to write the content or format a floppy disk, the computer prompts "Write Protect Error", this is generally light-emitting diode and phototransistor as the dust covered the phototransistor can not be given ... read more

WTB: DOS 2.11 floppy disk for Data General One Model 2

Usually this should not be an issue as the MS-DOS system floppy disk was write protected. ... If you are still intererested, I have a DOS disk that will boot your Data General and recognize drive B. I just tried it and it works. read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿